By Logeetha Balakrishnan
Over the past month, we have been overwhelmed with volunteers signing up to fundraise for our Cambodia campaign which is fantastic! However, we noticed while the volunteers are excited about getting involved and joining us on our trip, most are terrified at the idea of fundraising and pretty much clueless on where to begin.
Attempting to fundraise for a noble cause in itself is not enough to entice your friends and family to part with their hard-earned money. You need to provide something in return and usually if it comes in the form of a personal sacrifice or entertainment, people are willing to support you. You need to earn the donations.
If you’re willing to invest a lot of time and energy into your campaign then you could do a variety of things such as host a movie/game night, provide a service to your friends or family or have a garage or bake sale. However, most people today are too busy for any of the above and are looking for more ‘convenient’ fundraising ideas. So here’s an idea which consumes relatively no time, requires minimal mental effort and a pinch of courage.
Give up, pledge or dare to do something.
Let your friends challenge you to a dare to go without something you love for a certain amount time. You could give them ideas for the dare too. If you complete the dare, they will have to contribute towards your campaign!
You could pledge to do something after you hit your fundraising goal. Make sure the goal is a challenging else you won’t be motivated and be sure to publicise it widely to show everyone you have committed to it.
Here are some ideas:
- Give up all social media for a week. If you’re a serial stalker on Facebook or Instagram, then deactivate your Facebook/Instagram account for a week.
- Give up your favourite food for a week. Say no to nasi lemak, roti canai or even go vegetarian if you can handle it!
- Give up your favourite beverage for a week. No tea, coffee, or energy drinks. Yes that includes beer and wine too!
- Give up eating out for a week and opt for home packed lunch instead.
- For girls: Shave your head (we’re not responsible if your parents disown you)
- For guys: wax off hair on one leg and one arm. Leave all other limbs untouched.
- Wear the same outfit to work/college 3 times in a week.
- Embarrass yourself in public. If you can sing or dance then do something which you can’t.
- Pledge to hit the gym or exercise everyday for a week.
- Refrain from shopping for a week (you really do have enough shoes).
- Refrain from checking your phone during meals. Pledge to have in person conversations with those around you instead.
- Pledge to be nice for a week! No road rage, no swear words, no frowns, just a happy compassionate person!
If you have any other ideas, feel free to share them with us below. Remember while you will be raising funds for a cause, you’ll also be testing your discipline, slimming your waistline and being a generally pleasant person to be around!